Wednesday 29 June 2011

Best kind.....



For the past three days I have been waking up at 2:42 am. I set the alarm to be that specific, so I can hit the snooze button at least twice before 3:00am.

Why am I getting up so early?

Work.

I not telling you about my rotation on the early shift to solicit sympathy. I am telling you about it in hopes that it somewhat explains my state of mind yesterday afternoon.

You see, I had a bit of a mishap.

Actually I had one helluva mishap.

After work I decided to make a trek to Home Depot or as I like to call it Home Money Pit. Since embarking on our own version of "reno-nightmares", it feels like I've given every other paycheck to that big box store.

But I digress from my mishap.

My shopping trip was supposed to be an in and out affair. All I needed was a can of paint and a brush. No problem. Along the way, I came upon a plant sale in the garden centre. Two lavendar bushes later and I was on my way through the check-out.

Just as I was leaving the store, a big menacing cloud released a gusher. Talk about downpour. It reminded me of those sudden tropical storms that hit you while you are strolling on an island beach. It was sort of shocking actually.

Next, I made a mad dash for my truck. But really, I didn't have to run. Within a matter of seconds I was drenched.

I have to admit the storm sort of amused me. So what did I do, I decided to text my husband and inform him that we did not live in Toronto but the tropics! After that I put my purchases in the back of the truck. While unloading, the shopping buggy rolled away from me. Parking lots are never flat surfaces. The buggy actually ended up towards the front of the vehicle. I paid no notice. I continue my business at the back of the truck. Once I was finished, I decided to text Kai one more time with a weather update. After that, I was off.

So where's the mishap you ask? Well, I have left out a very important fact. The whole time while I was shopping, unloading and texting my wallet was in the buggy. Can you see where this is going?

 My wallet was stolen. Stolen right from under my own nose. Those who know me well are probably not surprised by this. I am totally reckless when it comes to my keys and my wallet. Totally idiotic - I know!

I realized the wallet was missing after I putting the buggy back into the holding stall. Once I noticed it missing, I ran back to the buggy. But it was gone.

I frantically scanned the parking lot. I couldn't see anyone around. I ran inside the store looking for help. I must have come across as a bit of a lunatic. Thanks to the rain,  my hair was stuck to my face, my mascara was running and my clothes were dripping. The store clerks looked at me, made a couple calls and then politely asked for my number. They would call me if anyone turned it in.

Not ready to be defeated, I went back outside.I ran up to the first person I saw. He was near my car having a smoke. I began asking one question after another. Did you see a purple wallet? Did you see anyone with a purple wallet? Were you near those shopping carts? The guy also looked at me like I was insane.  He couldn't help me, but he hoped I would find my wallet.

Panic was setting in. I started running around the parking lot. Ok, maybe I was acting a little crazy. After several laps of the lot, I spotted security cameras. Ah, Big Brother would help me! I ran back inside the store and back to the very same clerks.

"Security cameras, I see you have security cameras! Can we go take a look and see what happened to my wallet?"

It seemed like a brilliant plan at the time. I am so clever I thought.

Their response: "No."  They claim the cameras only point to the store's doors. Drat, so much for my moment of brilliance.

You know that feeling you have right before you vomit? Well imagine putting that feeling in a blender with a couple other feelings. Take a whole lot of anger. Add a big dose of disapointment. Mix it all up. Mix it real good. Well that is how I felt once my wallet was gone.

For the next hour or so, I tried to go about cancelling my life. I know that's dramatic, but that's how I felt! And to make things worse, while trying to figure everything out I locked my keys in my car. Oh yes, yes I did.

Totally defeated. Sigh.

But.

There is a beautiful but to this story.

 About two hours or so after my mishap I got a call on my blackberry. I quickly answered as I thought it might be the Depot phoning with some good news. It wasn't the Depot. It was a man name Earl.

"Hi there. My name is Earl Muise. You don't know me. But I believe I have your wallet."

"What?" I squawked.

"Are you from Newfoundland?" Earl asked.

Confused, I replied "Um, no, no. But I did live there for three years. I just moved to Toronto in the fall. You found my wallet? You really did? Is it purple?"

Yes, too much information.
Yes, I was starting to squeal.

Earl then said, "I am from Newfoundland. It must be your lucky day. I had to look in your wallet to see who it belonged to. I saw you have a Newfoundland MCP card. You also have a business card in there."

I know we chatted a little longer. I just don't recall the details. I do recall that it actually felt like we were two old friends catching-up. Next, I was running to my vehicle to take off and fetch my wallet.

Those damn keys! Damn them!

I started pushing on all the windows. No luck! No damn luck!

Then I noticed something. The passenger door was unlocked. Unlocked the whole time. Yes, you can call me any name you want at this point!

Back on track, I speed off to meet my Good Samaritan. But before going to far, I call Kai and give him the update. When I contacted him earlier about the situation, he was not pleased. I had avoided calling him until Earl called me.

Soon as I had Kai on the phone, I told him the good news. In true, jaded, urbanite fashion Kai responded by telling me that I was not to go alone. I scoffed at the thought that Earl posed a threat. Earl was from Newfoundland! Earl rescued my wallet. Why would Earl possibly want to harm me? But you know, we are not in St.John's anymore. Toronto is not a place where people leave their front door open during the day. It's not a place where you can walk into a strangers home and help yourself to the moose sausage. So together, we sped off to retrieve my pretty purple wallet.

Earl did not live far away. When we got to his apartment building we buzzed his number. His bright cheery voice boomed over the speaker.

"Melanie, that you?"

"Yep, it's me Earl"

"My word girl, god must be watching over you today. I will be right down with your wallet."

A couple minutes later and Earl appeared. He was a tall fella with glasses. If memory servers me correctly, he was wearing a plaid shirt. What struck me about Earl, was his friendly smile. That salt-kissed, genuine, big 'ol Newfoundland smile.

After a handshake and quick round of introductions, Earl handed me my wallet. It was wrapped in paper towel. He said it was soaking wet when he found it. Turns out, he located it by the Canadian Tire. It sits across from Home Depot. He apologized for having to look inside the wallet, but it was the only way to find out who the owner was.

While standing talking to Earl, I looked inside my familiar  wallet. Everything appeared to be in the right place. There was no money, but that had nothing to do with the theft. I seldom carry cash. After looking a littler closer, the only thing that appeared to be missing was a lotto ticket. My dad and I share the purchase of  a ticket every time there's a 649 carry-over. The person who scooped my wallet snatched my ticket.

After chatting a little more, it was time for Earl and I to go our separate ways. I thanked him over and over again. He simply replied that it was the proper thing to do. He was raised to the right thing.

Hats off to Earl's mama. And hats off to Earl. Hats off to Newfoundland.

If more people in the world did the right thing, imagine what a place it would be.

Earl, I am grateful to you. Yes, you returned my wallet. But you also reminded me that there are good people all around us.

So here's to good deeds making the world a better place ....one purple wallet at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment