Monday 1 August 2011

Streetcar Sightings...
Working on a holiday Monday. That was me today. The day wasn't overly bad nor was it overly good. Just one of those days you sort of shrug at. Nothing of note to write home about. Well, that's what I thought before I boarded the streetcar.

Usually I don't take the streetcar home. I usually hop on the subway. At the end of the day I don't want to dilly-dally. The subway is my choice, as it simply feels faster.

Anyhow, today I opted for the Spadina streetcar. I needed an open grocery store. We were lacking in the food department. Without a shopping stop, dinner would have consisted of old hummus, dry bread, tomatoes and maybe some old almond milk.  The streetcar passes right by the Fresh and Wild (one of the only stores open today close to work). It was easy and accessible!

If you haven't taken a streetcar in Toronto, I do recommend it. I like the "old world" feel of the streetcar. I like the click-ity-clack sound it makes lumbering down the city's busy streets. It feels cozy and quaint. Well, if you are in a good mood and not in a rush it most certainly does!

But today's post is not about the streetcar, its about what I saw while on the streetcar.

You can see quite a bit from the streetcar as it towers above most cars and trucks. Since it moves slow, you can take in the scenery all around you.

Today, while riding home I saw a group of people casually walking down the street. Nothing abnormal there, I hear you saying.Usually, I would agree with you. But for some reason today, I could not stop looking at this gaggle of folks strolling down the street. My eyes were drawn to something green in the group. Something bright green. It was triangular in shape and it was moving. The green triangle wasn't moving fast. It was just bopping along. Every now and then it would stop and sway from one side to the other. I was transfixed!

Now, attached to this green triangle there were two hairy legs. There was also a skinny torso. Not to mention there were two long arms and a head! Perched on top of the head was a  straw hat. I should also mention that the feet were decked out in crisp white sneakers.

So what was the bright green triangle?

What had captured my attention on a warm holiday Monday?

The bright triangle was a Speedo.

Yes, a Speedo. As in the spandex bathing suit variety!

A man - I would guess in his late twenties - was wearing a Speedo as he was walking down Spadina.

No, he was not walking he was waltzing down Spadina.

Toronto is a big city. It is the biggest city in Canada. With so many people coming and going you are bound to see some unusual sights. Trust me, I have witnessed many unusual people, places and things during my short stint in the city. But for some reason the green Speedo really struck a cord.

No, the guy was not an Adonis. He was no "Conan the Barbarian" walking down the street in spandex. My heart was not set a flutter.

Nor was I freaked out. I did not feel disturbed or worried.

Part of me was entertained. I mean how can you not giggle when you see a guy wearing a green Speedo and nothing else? Come on - it's funny.

But you know what really struck me? It was a sudden feeling that I was witnessing total freedom. This guy was walking down the street as if he was wearing an Armani suite. He was strutting his stuff as if he was a guy on Bay Street heading to his latest corporate take over.

Yes, from sitting on that streetcar I could feel his confidence. I could sense his "devil-may-care" attitude. My guess is, he could have cared less what people thought of him. In fact I bet from beneath that straw hat, he was challenging those looking at him to cast a stone.

Yes, judgement did begin to peculate. I wanted to shout "check out that load of crazy!" What a bizarre choice of clothing? How outlandish? What a dose of weirdness? Odd. Freaky. Whack!

But I knew just by watching him, he simply did not care what thoughts were running through my mind. Remember, his hips were swaying. He was free. He was totally at peace with his green Speedo.

And you know what?   Good for him. Why the heck not?

I decided to let go and simply enjoy the passing of the green Speedo. I was entertained. I was amused. I was challenged to let go of my preconceived notions. I decided to just be in the moment. Yes, I was in the moment with a man in a green Speedo.

So on this holiday Monday, I wish you all a little freedom from judgement, from fear and from insecurity. May you confidently walk down any street in the world knowing that you are beautiful no matter what you look like. I think there is a little green Speedo in all of us longing to break free. We might not all need to prance down the street, showing it off for all to see. But we all need to know it is inside of us. We need to know that we are always free to be who we want, when we want!

No comments:

Post a Comment